Why I am no longer "Pro-Choice"

I used to be "Pro-Choice." I used to be a feminist. Not any more. Why? A few years ago (while in law school actually) I learned to think and to reason. I learned to use my God-given brain and ask questions and search for truth. I stopped blindly following everyone else's agenda.

Truth?

Yes, truth. You see,  I used to buy into the post-modern definition of truth, that truth is relative--Your truth is true for you but my truth is true for me. But I wanted to know. If there was an objective "truth" to be found, then I wanted to find it.

I found it. 

Jesus said, "... for this reason I was born, and for this I came into the world, to testify to the truth. Everyone on the side of truth listens to me."(John 18:37) And "I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me." (John 14:6) If we seek Him, we will find Him. (Rev. 3:20)

Jesus is the Truth

So what does Jesus have to do with the abortion issue?

Well, if Jesus is the truth, and if everyone on the side of truth listens to Him and obeys Him, and if He is the only way to the Father, then I decided maybe I should find out if there is a truth about the abortion issue. 

The question is, like the line made famous by Jack Nicholson in the movie A Few Good Men, "Can you handle the truth?" 

When I surrendered my life to follow Christ in the late 1990's, I didn't instantly lose my feminist pro-choice ideas. It look time for the Lord to work in my heart. But I continued to pray for God to show me His truth on the matter. I was prepared to follow His truth and conform my life to His truth. This was contrary to what I had been doing as a prodigal daughter running away from a loving Father, conforming my truth to fit my life.

One summer day in 2001, while visiting the National Cathedral as a tourist in Washington D.C., I heard a poignant sermon by a Catholic priest. He brought up stem cell research and Psalm 139.

"For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body. All the days ordained for me were written in your book before one of them came to be." Psalm 139:13-16

I got it! God alone is the creator of life. He created each one of us, specifically and purposefully. Once this really sank in, I began to wonder, "Why in the world do I believe a woman has the 'right to choose to terminate a pregnancy,' to end a life that God alone created?" I shuddered to think. Why did man/woman think he/she can destroy what God created?

Then I remembered who was the Destroyer (Rev. 9:11). I sure didn't want to be aligned with this Destroyer. I wanted to be aligned with the Giver of life.

When you come to know the truth, it will set you free. (John 8:32) 


Now I know the truth, I am free from the "pro choice" lie. I choose to align myself with the Giver of LIFE.


Who do you align with?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Apologetics Resources for Parents, Grandparents & Kids

THESIS: A Cross-Cultural Analysis of Women, Religion & the Law

Interview with Ratio Christi about WIA Conference